mobile-navigation Skip to content


Click to Call
Laine Insurance

3581 Oneal Ave.,
Pueblo, CO 81005

Get Directions
Laine Insurance Blog

RV Insurance Recommended for Homemade Campers

Laine Insurance, serving Colorado, has some excellent news for RV travelers. You can acquire insurance for your homemade camper. 

We can help you find the right coverage for your unit. However, we have to follow protocol. Keep in mind that different Colorado counties have their own rules. 

Here’s an example of regulations from Pitkin County:

According to Pitkin County, a homemade trailer does not have a VIN. It also weighs less than 2000 pounds. RV users must obtain a trailer identification number before using it like an RV. 

Issuance of insurance requires several documents as proof. One of these includes a written statement you completed with the DMV. 

A weight slip and VIN inspection must also be performed, among other steps, for authorized use of your homemade trailer. Once approved, you will receive license plates and a title, which you have to apply for separately. 

Insuring Your Homemade Trailer 

When you insure your homemade trailer, you must provide accurate information about it. For instance, we ask our clients what kind of trailer it is, such as make and model. We also need to know how you use it and what its contents are. 

Frequency of use is another consideration. We will also take into account state-approved safety features in your unit. 

What’s Covered 

You may find some of the same coverage available for your homemade trailer as for a vehicle. Some include collision coverage, which can pay for claims after a crash. Comprehensive insurance may include coverage for storm, animal, or debris damage. 

One type of RV coverage may not fit all. If you’re unsure how to insure your specific unit, please get in touch with the Laine Insurance team in Colorado to learn more.